What are REGOs and how do I apply for them?

A REGO is a Renewable Energy Guarantee of Origin. This is an electronic certificate which is used by an electricity supplier to show what proportion of their energy comes from renewable sources.

To apply for REGOs, you must first have a Generator account on the Ofgem Renewables and CHP Register, the web based system used to administer Ofgems renewable schemes. Once you have your generator account on the Ofgem Renewbles and CHP Register, you can then apply for your REGOs.

More information on how to claim the REGOs you are entitled to, can be found here.

How do I transfer REGOs?

To transfer your REGO's to our account you will need to go to Ofgems site (https://www.renewablesandchp.ofgem.gov.uk/) and log into your account.

To transfer certificates, go to Certificates> REGOs> transfer my REGO certificates. Our unique ID that you will need to quote is SUP0009182.

More information on REGOs can be found here: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/rego/applicants/rego-submitting-data-and-managing-certificates

What is the Climate Change Levy (CCL) and what are Levy Exemption Certificates (LECs)? Why can I no longer get them?

The Climate Change Levy was set up in 2001 by the UK Government to encourage businesses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions; the rate is currently 0.559 p/kWh for electricity and is fixed until 31st March 2017. Levy Exemption Certificates originally granted businesses that used only renewable energy sources to be exempt from the Climate Change Levy; however energy generated after 1st August 2015 is no longer exempt as the scheme is now closed.

What is the Feed-in Tariff (FIT) scheme?

The Feed-in Tariff is a Government scheme designed as an incentive for your businesses to install renewable technologies for power generation. The scheme is available for anyone who has installed, or is looking to install one or more of the following technology types up to a capacity of 5MW, or 2kW for micro-CHP:

  • Solar PV
  • Wind
  • Micro Combined Heat and Power (CHP)
  • Hydro
  • Anaerobic Digestion (AD)

The scheme itself can be split into the following two tariffs:

  • The Generation Tariff - A fixed rate for every kilowatt hour of electricity you generate, whether you use it for your business, or export it to the grid.
  • The Export Tariff - An additional fixed income you will receive for every kilowatt hour you sell back to the grid.

We are a FIT Licensee and can process your FIT payments for you.

More information, including the current rates can be found on: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/fit/about-fit-scheme


What are DADC charges?

The DA/DC is the Data Aggregator/Data Collector.  These are the people who read your meter and send the meter data through to us. 

The DA/DC can be appointed directly by the generator in which case they will charge you directly.  Where we appoint the DA/DC on your behalf, we pass these charges through to you at cost.  We do our best to keep these costs as low as possible.

What are reactive power charges?

Some Distribution Network Operators levy a reactive power charge if the reactive power exceeds a percentage of kilowatt hours consumed.  These charges are passed on to our customers at cost as levied by the Distribution Network Operator.

What is reactive power?

In most electrical circuits, an electro-magnetic field is created which is necessary in motors and transformers.  This impedes the electrical current, causing a requirement for reactive power.

If a site has high reactive power, more current is required to provide the same power output, causing an increase in capacity requirements, potentially increasing costs for the Distribution Network Operator.

If your reactive power charges are high, the reactive power can potentially be reduced by the company responsible for maintaining your equipment.

How often do we make payments for exported power?

We pay you for your exported power on a monthly basis. This will be towards the end of the month after the month of generation.

What is the MOP?

The MOP is the acronym for Meter Operator.  The MOP will provide the meter, be responsible for installation, and maintenance of the communication line.  The agreement to provide and maintain the meter is an arrangement made between the generator and the MOP.

A generator will need to have a MOP contract in place before we can complete the registration process.

What is P272?

P272 is the name given to the industry wide metering switchover to half hourly systems in the UK, it allows energy suppliers like us to provide more accurate billing for your business. P272 will affect customers in load profile classes 05-08, which in more basic terms equates to medium sized businesses. UK regulations state that businesses with load profile classes 05-08 will be switched to half hourly metering by 1st April 2017, larger businesses with peak demands of >100 kW are already on half hourly meter systems.

When do we make Feed In Tariff (FIT) payments?

Where Feed In Tariff payments are administered by F&S Energy, these are paid within 10 days of the funds being allocated by Ofgem.  The Ofgem payment schedule can be found here.